Friday, August 13, 2010

Home grown vegetables and Bean Burgers


At the start of the summer I put together 2 vegetable beds. We got 2 vegetable large square shape beds. At the start of the summer it looked like this.
Also have a potatoe patch thing.

Planted in it was lettuce, onions, cabbage, rocket, parsley, thyme. A lot of the cabbage and Lettuce got destroyed by slugs though. I didn't wanna use slug pellets but ended up using them anyway because they ate EVERYTHING!


So I got lazy and pretty much abandoned it up until today. After cutting the horrible amount of grass I have, I was in a gardening mood. So I took all the weeds out of the vegetable patch, pulled out any dead shit and pulled up all the onions because they were ready. My mum freaked though because we are not gonna have to use all of them when we coulda just pulled one out when we actually need it, ah well.
There is quite a lot of onions. They're more red onions still to be picked.
The onions grew some pretty nice flowers too!


There is also a tomatoe plant and a rubarb plant that are still growing. A few green tomatoes on it there! Seeing an actual vegetable like that growing is very class.

There is some sweet pea growing on the deck, which I love. The flowers are so pretty. I made a DIY climbing system for it using string and bamboo. It grew pretty quick.

Now onto some food.
Today I made Bean burgers for dinner. I followed a recipe from a vegetarian cookbook I have but I flavored it in my own way.
It was very easy to make. It involved, chopping an onion finely and frying it. Add a tablespoon each of coriander and cumin. Adding garlic. Then adding this to a bowl of Kidney beans. I used 1 1 tin and a half. It made about 5 burgers.
The recipe was just that plus mushrooms but I had none. I added a lot more stuff to it to make it tastyier!
I added-
  • Pine nuts
  • cashew nuts
  • dried cranberries
  • Chilli
  • Honey
  • Parsley
  • Salt, pepper
  • And the most important ingredient- Sun dried tomato paste
This stuff is THE BEST.

You then mash it altogether with a potato masher and mould them into burgers, dust with a bit of flower and brush with a little oil and pop them under the grill. They have no egg or anything in them so they don't hold that well but pretty well.
I ate mine in a pitta bread with salad and salad cream. I should of put cheese on too.
I also used some nandos hot sauce and left over cous cous I made earlier.
It was very tasty and was made to be eaten with salad cream. Will be making again!

No comments: