Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My first vegan Christmas.

...wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. For once, I didn't feel horrible and unhealthy from the copious amounts of chocolate. So no weight gain what so ever!

As I said previously, I went to Cork for Christmas, down to my Aunt's. It was a long drive down and a very long and squishy one on the way back (4 people+2 dogs and a flat tyre on the m50). I didn't have my digital camera with me so all my pictures were taken on my phone. I had a surprisinly delicious dinner anyway. My aunt made me roasted sweet potatoes and gave me a lesson in roasting. I also had falafel, peas and roasted potatoes. As plain and boring as that sounds it was really tasty when put together with some gravy and ballymaloe country relish.


For dessert, My aunt had gotten me a slice of Natasha's Living food Raw Coaco Orange Ganache Tart. It's 4 euro for a small slice but was so worth it! It was so creamy.


I received 3 vegan baking cookbooks for Christmas.
I had picked out 'Sweet Vegan' myself for my mum to get me. I choose it mainly due to the fact all the recipes are in grams. I really don't trust my cups to grams conversions. Different sites have different calculations! I have marked out all the reicpes I want to try.

However.. a lot of the recipes have ' unprocessed cane juice'.. or un processed cane sugar. I've asked around a few health shops and they have no idea what I am talking about. Does anyone know where to get some??

And Jesse got me Vegan Cookies-Invade your cookie jar and Babycakes! They both have amazing looking recipes and are lovely books. Once my exams finish, I will get stuck in.

4 comments:

Blueberries said...

I've never seen whole cane sugar in health food shops, you can gt it online from Goodness Direct http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/327595_Biona_Organic_Rapadura_Wholecane_Sugar_500g.html but I'd say you could just use brown sugar, palm sugar (available in Tesco from the cooks' ingredients section)or even regular sugar. :D

Unknown said...

Thanks! Yeah it seems to just be brown sugar which makes it all so much easier.

All about... (vegan) food said...

Don't know what happened to the comment I left here :(

"unprocessed cane juice" is brown sugar :)

Babycakes is a beautiful book but the recipes there have too many ingredients for my taste :P I don't have the Vegan Cookies-Invade your cookie jar but I love all Isa Chandra's books. Can't wait to read about the recipes you wanna try!

Unknown said...

I had seen that comment Glauce! But when I went to reply later on, it had gone.

Thanks again anyway! The Babycakes book is for sure lovely. Can't wait to bake!