Friday, January 21, 2011

Blazing Salads Buckwheat burgers/salsa

So as I mentioned in my previous post, that I got the Blazing Salads cookbook. I decided to make the Buckwheat and vegetable burgers.

So I headed down to Dalkey to Select Stores to find some Buckwheat. Turns out, it is really good for you ' Like other wholefoods such as brown rice and oats, Buckwheat is high in fibre. It is also adept at taking nutrients from the soil, so you'll find an array of useful minerals. It contains high levels of calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and iron.' -
http://www.independent.ie/health/diet-fitness/real-food-nutty-buckwheat-will-boost-your-nutrition-2115497.html

I wasn't to impressed with how they turned out. You have to boil the buckwheat with some vegetables and then mix it together with brocolli and a small bit of ground up pumkin seeds.The mixture was extremely wet so I put some breadcrumbs in to hold it together. The recipe said to fry them, so I did just that. Again, they were still horribly soggy, so I baked them. That did a better job, still soggy though. I had one left this morning and found that it had hardened up a fair bit over night. I've had these burgers before from the store and they aren't much like what I made.

After I fried them.

After baking them. A lot more crisper.

The recipe also involved some salsa. I had never made salsa before but it turned out well. I will for sure make some again. It was Tomato, onion, chilli and coriander.
And I served it all up in a pitta bread!






1 comment:

Velovegan said...

They look delicious! I have noticed however that whenever I buy a burger in Blazing Salads they are quite wet and not very crispy at all... :(